Hello SCM 1000 participants!
Preparations for the 2019 SCM 1000 are coming along nicely. As your Route Master, I have spent about 10 days on the roads so far, and anticipate at least a few more, making sure that the routes are clearly outlined and no surprise road construction lurks along the route.
We are now just six weeks away from our first day on the road (July 15th), so before you load your car up and ship it to Portland, here are a few reminders.
- Now is the time to get some miles on your car and sort out any niggling issues that could turn into problem. An ounce of prevention and all that…
- Some of the early Porsches will have reserve gas tanks and switches. Please make sure these switches work and you have checked the reserve. The reserve is roughly 1-1 ½ gallons and if you haven’t used the reserve fuel setting, it may be old stale gas.
- We also recommend bringing the following spares: fanbelt, plugs, points, condenser, distributor cap and fuses.
- This tour is nearly 1000 miles long and some areas are fairly remote, please make sure your gas gauges and other instruments are functional!
- A fire extinguisher is required this year.
We have two teams of mechanics this year – one will ride mid-pack, and the other will follow along at the end. If you have a problem, a mechanic will spend up to 30 minutes on route making corrections or fixing minor problems. If the mechanic determines that the problem cannot be solved on the road, Hagerty Insurance, one of our presenting Sponsors, will provide towing to the nearest repair facility within 75 miles.
We will have one spare Porsche on the sweep truck.
Please contact me for any questions about this or about transporting your vehicle.
SCM 1000 Route Master